Criminal Record Checks (Police Certificates) in Canada
Individuals in Canada can get Police Certificate from RCMP or from City Police.
- If residence is in the city, use respective city police - e.g., Toronto Police Service (search does not require fingerprints).
- If residence is in the rural area, use local RCMP Detachment (search does not require fingerprints).
- Regardless of residence, use RCMP in Ottawa (Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services) for certified criminal record checks (based on full sets of fingerprints).
- More information about Police Certificates can be obtained via link or on websites of your City Police Services.
To obtain the certified Police Certificate based on fingerprints, please use this link.
As Canada is not a party to The Hague Apostille Convention, the Police Certificates need to be legalized via chain legalization process. The procedure is as follows:
- Obtain the original Police Certificate received from the steps above (from RCMP or local police).
- Authenticate at Global Affairs of Canada ( former DFAIT).
- Legalize at a foreign Embassy/Consulate.
Our Services for Canadian Police Certificates
Canada Legalization Services can assist you with authentication at Global Affairs of Canada ( former DFAIT) and legalization at a foreign Embassy/Consulate. To proceed we will need the following:
- Original Police Certificate.
- Copy of the Police Certificate for foreign Embassy/Consulate records (if you would like us to legalize it as well).
- Payment in the form described in our Payment Methods section and amount described in our Fees section.
- Self-addressed envelope with prepaid airway bill. You can use any courier company but we strongly suggest using FedEx, UPS or DHL for faster return of your documents. If you do not enclose return envelope, we will return your documents either via either standard or registered mail Canada Post.
If you are abroad and need to obtain RCMP record, please contact us, and we will provide you instructions.
We hope to hear from you soon!